Meet new gothic author Winter Frost

And her brand new novella Lady in the Mist.
Be sure to lead a comment. I’m going away a $10 Gift Certificate to Amazon or Barnes and Noble to one lucky winner.

Blurb:

Upon her arrival in Shoal Harbor, Maine, Lily Jackson hears eerie moans that the locals claim are the ghostly cries of the unfortunate Breckenridge women. Running from loss and setback in Cincinnati, Lily needs the job as semi-psychiatric caregiver for Andrew Breckenridge, but the storm she has to weather from the oldest Breckenridge brother is severe. Clinton Breckenridge is a brooding man used to getting his own way, and he’s not convinced Lily is the right person to help his troubled younger brother.

Even as Lily starts picking up the pieces of Andrew’s tortured psyche and finding out his dark secrets, another mystery looms before her. Andrew’s lover has gone missing in recent months and no one knows what has happened to her, or if her voice has joined those of the other Breckenridge women. Before she knows it, Lily finds herself in danger—thrust directly into the eye of the raging storm.

Excerpt:

That night, I was in my room preparing for bed when a loud crack of thunder vibrated through the room. I rushed to the window, dread pounding through me at the sight of the darkening sky. Drops of rain shimmered on the glass, and a startling bolt of lightning illuminated the lighthouse. A movement in the top window made me squint through the darkness. Had that been a face? That was impossible. The weather was making me imagine things. Another enormous clap of thunder boomed, and I jumped back, dropping the curtain.

I shivered. Stop this. It’s only a storm. You’re inside. You’re safe. I made a concentrated effort to stop the trembles running through my body. Choosing a book from the nightstand, I settled in bed to read. No way would I be able to sleep until the storm subsided. I tried to focus on the novel, but the words might as well have been written in Swahili for all I understood.

My mind kept wandering to the weather raging outside. With a determined effort, I focused on the page I’d already read no less than five times.

A particularly horrendous blast of thunder made me let out a scream. The lights went out, and I was plunged into darkness.

I froze, my legs quaking so badly, I couldn’t climb from the bed. But then again, did I want to? Wasn’t this the safest place to be?

I tried to remember if I’d seen any candles in the bedroom, but couldn’t recall. The storm was frightening enough, but a power outage was terror-inducing. The only illumination was the occasional flashes of lightening across the draperies, which only intensified my fear.

Forcing my legs to work, I threw off the covers and stood. There had to be a candle in here somewhere. I was halfway across the bedroom floor, making my way through the dark toward the dresser, when a violent rattle shook the doorknob.

A scream left my throat. I couldn’t think straight. Terror sent blood rushing through my eardrums, and it was several moments before I recognized Clinton’s voice. “Lillian? Are you all right?”

On shaking legs, I rushed to the door, mindless of the dark. I jerked it open and summoned all my willpower not to launch into Clinton’s arms. In the faint glow of the flashlight he held, I could barely make out his silhouette, but just having another human in the vicinity eased my terror.

“The power’s out,” I said stupidly.

“I know. I’m sorry. There are candles in the bathroom.”

“I wasn’t sure where to look. And it was dark…” I shuddered. “Why are you here?”

“Drew mentioned your fear of storms. I wanted to make sure you were okay.”

“Thank you.”

“Let’s get those candles.” His touch landed on my arm, warm and comforting. He guided me to the bathroom where he released me and opened a cabinet. Several candles, some new, some already used were stacked neatly in place. He grabbed the nearest one. Resting the flashlight on the countertop, he reached into his pocket. Flame from a lighter touched the candle’s wick. He turned off the flashlight and slipped it in his back pocket. The flare wavered over his features, which were drawn into a look of concern I’d glimpsed only a few times.

“You’re shivering,” he murmured. He rubbed his hands up and down my arms. The friction of his touch sliding the silk gown along my flesh sent a skitter of desire over my spine.

I met his gaze in the candlelight. His eyes shimmered a golden green. We stared at one another for a few excruciatingly silent moments. He tugged lightly, and I was pulled against his chest. My bones turned to liquid, his touch leaving languorous heat in its wake. His hands slid upward, settling on my face.

“What am I doing?” he asked, his voice a tortured groan.

Before I had time to respond, he lowered his head and claimed my mouth. The kiss was gentle, his lips warm and coaxing. I opened to him with a small moan, linking my hands behind his neck. I pressed into him while a wave of undeniable yearning ached in my lower belly. Madness. This is madness, a voice whispered in my head. In spite of the truth in the words, I didn’t stop.

“Lillian? Clinton?” At first, the origin of the words didn’t register. I wondered how Clinton was able to speak with his mouth fused to mine. Then sanity returned.

Drew.

I broke the kiss and pushed away from Clinton, wiping a hand along my mouth.

“God,” he groaned, scraping a hand through his hair. He snatched up the candle, then brushed past me and out of the bathroom.

“In here, Drew.”

I followed to find Drew standing in my bedroom, flashlight in hand.

“What’s going on?” Drew looked from Clinton to me. “Are you okay?”

I smiled shakily. “I’m fine. Clinton found a candle.”

He slowly nodded, his expression unreadable, but I sensed a hint of suspicion. None was revealed when he spoke. “Good. The storm’s over.”

I looked to the window. He was right. The storm had passed, and I hadn’t been aware of it. Hadn’t been aware of anything except Clinton and the desire his kiss had ignited.

Clinton moved across the room and placed the candle on my nightstand. “Let’s go so she can rest. The power should be on soon. Hank is probably starting the generator now.”

With that, they exited, leaving me alone with the flickering flame and the stirring embers of that unexpected kiss.

16 comments to “Meet new gothic author Winter Frost”

1. Desiree Holt
      · August 12th, 2012 at 4:50 pm · Link

Hi Winter! I’m so glad you have you on my blog today.

2. Alicia Dean
      · August 12th, 2012 at 4:57 pm · Link

Hello Desiree,

I am thrilled and honored to be here. Thank you for the kind words about my novella. It was so much fun writing the kind of books I read as a pre-teen. It was also fun, yet challenging, to set it in contemporary times.

3. Diane Burton
      · August 12th, 2012 at 5:33 pm · Link

Whoa. This is good. Shades of Daphne DuMaurier and Rebecca. Can’t wait to read this.

4. Leah St. James
      · August 12th, 2012 at 5:38 pm · Link

I was going to say what Diana said! I remember reading books like this as a teenager, cowering under the covers with my flashlight so my mom wouldn’t know (ha!) I was up half the night reading. Great stuff.

5. R.T. Wolfe
      · August 12th, 2012 at 5:42 pm · Link

I thoroughly enjoyed Winter Frost’s talented writing in her novella, Lady in the Mist. Seamlessly, she brought me immediately into the scene of the misty, rock-laden shores and castle-like home of Breckenridge Manor. I completely adore the attractive and complex Breckenridge brothers and the myriad of complications that come with them. Lily carries herself with enough intellect to make me respect her and just enough flaws to make her real. I enjoyed the pins and needles suspense and the surprise ending was gleefully satisfying. Lady in the Mist is a top-notch romantic suspense that will keep your mind guessing and your heart yearning.

6. nora snowdon
      · August 12th, 2012 at 5:50 pm · Link

hi winter,
    absolutely loved your excerpt. it looks like an exciting read. although i guess with e-readers, we don’t need flashlights under the duvet anymore… ;)

7. Jess * Jessie * Jessy
      · August 12th, 2012 at 5:58 pm · Link

This sounds great. I’ve got it and can’t wait to dig in. :) I used to be a huge Victoria Holt fan. :)

8. Lynn Cahoon
      · August 12th, 2012 at 6:07 pm · Link

Winter- Great excerpt. I love gothic – I think it does take us back to an earlier time.

Good luck with the novella.

9. Alicia Dean
      · August 12th, 2012 at 6:31 pm · Link

Thank you so much for all the wonderful comments. I so appreciate all of you stopping by. The story definitely took me back in time. Victoria Holt was my favorite gothic romance author. Her books literally gave me chills. (Desiree…any relation? )

For those who’ve read it and like it, I’m so pleased that you took the time to read it and that you enjoyed it. For those who haven’t read it yet but plan to, I hope it ‘takes you back in time’ – Thanks again for all the support!

10. susanmp
      · August 12th, 2012 at 6:40 pm · Link

The excerpt looks sooo good and will definitely go on my wishlist!

11. Jessica Subject
      · August 12th, 2012 at 7:18 pm · Link

Congrats on your new release! It definitely sounds like a spooky read.

12. bbeth
      · August 12th, 2012 at 9:13 pm · Link

Can’t wait! Its definitely on my wish list… and I dont wish for long! Love this kind of reading. I read fast and its nothing to knock out a book or two a day! Plus, I LOVE the WAY you write. Your descriptiveness and the way you pull a reader into the actual set. Like a movie! Godspeed gal!!

13. Anna
      · August 12th, 2012 at 10:14 pm · Link

This comment has been removed by the author.

14. Anna
      · August 12th, 2012 at 10:36 pm · Link

I just finished reading ‘Lady in the Mist,’ and loved it. I’m a sucker for a spooky tale, and this one did not disappoint. Alicia paints scenery with language in such a way that I could clearly see the mounting cliffs of Shoal Harbor. Through her words, I could hear the echo of my footfalls in the hallways of Breckenridge Manor as I stepped, on pins and needles, through the vast corridors and walked,on eggshells,around the two gorgeous brothers inhabiting its walls. :) Thank you, Alicia, for yet another fantastic story.

15. Alicia Dean
      · August 13th, 2012 at 2:06 am · Link

Hi Susan, Jessica, Beth, Anna…thanks so much for stopping by. I appreciate all the kind words.

16. Tenaya Jayne
      · August 13th, 2012 at 5:17 pm · Link

I just put it in my kindle library and can’t wait to start reading it. I’ve been needing a good Gothic!